Follow these steps if someone is exposed to a poisonous plant
- Remove any remaining portion of the plant, berry or mushroom.
- Gently wipe mouth with a wet cloth.
- Check for any irritation, swelling, or discoloration.
- Give one glass of water to drink, provided victim is conscious and able to swallow.
- Call your local poison control center for further treatment instructions.
- A few plants may cause local irritation, itching and / or a rash to the skin. To prevent further irritation, remove contaminated clothing and wash skin well with soap and water. Call your local poison control center for further treatment instructions.
- Wash hands with soap and water to avoid further irritation to the eye.
- Rinse eye well with lukewarm tap water for 10-15 minutes. Gently pour water from a clean container held 2-4 inches away the eye. Call your local poison control center for further treatment instructions.
AFTER FOLLOWING THE ABOVE STEPS, ALWAYS CALL THE POISON CONTROL CENTER. DO NOT WAIT FOR SYMPTOMS TO APPEAR.
Guide to Plants / List of Plants
|To prevent a plant poisoning
- Keep all houseplants out of young children’s reach.
- Know the names of all your plants, both indoors and outdoors. Label each of your plants with the correct botanical name.
- Mushrooms and berries are particularly attractive to young children. Teach your children never to put mushrooms, berries, or any part of a plant including leaves, flowers, stems, bulbs, or seeds in their mouths.
- Mushrooms are especially abundant after a rainfall. Remove mushrooms from your yard and dispose of properly after each rainfall.
- Do not assume a plant is not poisonous because birds or wildlife eat it.
- Do not rely on cooking to destroy toxic chemicals in plants.
- Never use anything prepared from nature as a medicine or tea.
- If you suspect a poisoning, call your local poison control center immediately. Poison information specialists are available seven days a week, 24 hours a day. Do not wait for symptoms to appear; symptoms may often be delayed.
|A word about pets….
Young children are not the only ones who like plants! Pets, especially cats and dogs, also frequently ingest plants. In fact, of all the pet related called received by the Minnesota Poison Control System, about 20 percent involve a plant.
If a plant is known to be poisonous to humans, it’s a safe bet it can also be harmful to your pet. On the other hand, because a plant is listed as nontoxic, does not mean it will not have any ill effects on animals. Nontoxic plants can often cause vomiting and other related symptoms in dogs and especially cats. Do not hesitate to call your local poison control center if you suspect your pet may have ingested a toxic plant.
List of Plants
(SAFE, NOT POISONOUS)
The following plants are considered to be non-toxic. However, any plant may cause unexpected reactions in certain individuals, including choking. Always check with your local poison control center if a plant has been ingested.
The following plants may be mildly toxic or may easily be confused with toxic plants. However, since they are only mildly poisonous, they can be kept around children with some precautions. We recommend calling your local poison control center if a child or animal consumes a portion of any of the following plants.
The Following plants are considered toxic. If any portion of the following plants is ingested, call your local poison control center or take your child to an emergency room IMMEDIATELY.
Bleeding Heart Vine
Blood Leaf Plant
Easter Lily Cactus
False Solomon’s Seal
Hawaiian Ti Plant
Norfolk Island Pine
Polka Dot Plant
Silver Dollar Plant
String of Buttons
Striped Inch Plant
Teddy Bear Plant
Venus Fly Trap
Hens & Chicks
Bird of Paradise
Crown of Thorns
Hawaiian Baby Wood Rose
Jack in the pulpit
Lily of the Valley
Snow on the Mountain
Star of Bethlehem
String of Beads