As winter sets in, rain becomes unavoidable — especially families with little ones who still need to get outdoors when the rain comes. Protecting your little ones from the rain seems easy enough, but a quick Google search will overload with options for raincoats for kids.
Knowing which one will protect your littles from the rain, be comfortable, and last through the season is as easy as flipping through our quick guide to buying raincoats for kids! If you’ve got a kid that’s not easy to convince that a jacket is in his best interest, we’ve got you covered.
Raincoats for kids come in many materials, with snaps, zippers, colors, and characters galore. Check out our buying guide and top recommendations below.
The perfect jacket for your child may vary by location, and typical weather experienced. Here are some qualities you may want to consider when looking at raincoats for kids.
- Windproof – look for a jacket made of materials that don’t allow wind to come through the coat to your body. For added warmth, you can choose a coat with multiple layers.
- Ribbed Cuffs – Elastic around the wrist can allow the fabric to hug the wrist, keeping warmth in, rain out, and to prevent sleeves from drooping. Some jackets also have elastic in the sides, waist, and hood to keep the weather out and add a snug fit.
- Reflective – If you and your child are out during the darkest hours of the day often, you may consider a raincoat with reflective detailing to keep your little one safe when there is low visibility.
- Waterproof vs. water-resistant – Pay close attention to this small detail to ensure you get the type of jacket you’re looking for. Some coats will keep dry in light rain but not heavy rain.
- Breathability – To keep your little comfortable, pay attention to the breathability of the jacket. Some jackets may be too warm for running around in mild temperatures.
Below you’ll find our favorite jacket in each category, along with a couple more top contenders. For easy purchasing, additional color options and sizes follow the buy now link.
A) Ultra-Light Raincoats for Kids
Take a look at these ultralight raincoats for warmer, wet weather or for little ones who run around and get too heated in their jackets. Ultra-light raincoats are great for casual wear to keep dry when it’s not too chilly out, but can be put over warmer weather clothing for added protection.
B) Premium Raincoats for Kids
If your little one stays in the same size for longer than a few weeks, you may want to go for a premium raincoat that will last easily through the winter season.
C) Budget Raincoats for Kids
For families with kids that grow too quickly, or have multiple kids to buy for, check out these budget options of quality raincoats.
When choosing a rain jacket for your child, there are many things to consider. You may want to consider typical weather, what the jacket is primarily for – warmth, keeping dry, blocking the wind – or just as a back-up jacket to keep in your child’s book bag.
If your child is an only child, you may not want to spend too much on a jacket that’s only worn for one season so that you may opt for one of our budget-friendly options. For families with multiple kids, you may opt for a premium raincoat that can be passed from sibling to sibling through the seasons.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon. This content is provided ‘As is’ and is subject to change or removal at any time. / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API