In this activity, children will work together to build a house using popsicle sticks. They will take turns gluing popsicles to an outline of a house. Together, they will communicate back and forth as the house begins to take shape.
-Large piece of paper
-Markers to color the popsicle sticks.
Arrange small piles of popsicles for each child.
Draw the lines of a house with pencil on large paper.
- Begin by having children color the popsicle sticks different colors.
- Have one child start by placing a popsicle down on one of the drawn lines of the house
- Glue the popsicle stick down to the paper.
- Take turns and add more popsicles sticks to the outline of the house.
- When completed, decorate the house with windows and feel free to draw outside the house.
For some children who maybe more skilled, an outline of a house may not be needed.
You can also add additional rooms onto the house .
Questions to ask during activity
-What color do you think the wall should be?
-Where do you think you should put this popsicle?
-Who’s turn is it next?
-Does it look like something is missing?
You can download this activity here: Build a House