One-year-olds can be easily entertained with a variety of toys. Finding the perfect toy for a one-year-old usually isn’t too tall a task, but you do want to find something your little tike will enjoy. Here are some great options if you’re looking to buy a toy for a one-year-old.
1. BeatBo DLX by Fisher-Price: $40.00
At a year old, kids tend to be attracted to toys that make fun sounds, including catchy songs. BeatBo DLX is full of fun sounds and songs, and he knows how to nod his head and spin around to the beat of the music. He has multicolored LED lights stretching from his belly to his back that make for colorful light shows.
- BeatBo DLX can teach your child colors, sounds, phrases, the alphabet, counting, and more
- Ears are soft to the touch for added safety and tactile satisfaction
- Features more than 120 songs, sounds, and phrases
- Available in both BeatBo and BeatBelle
- Includes four ways to play, including Dance, Move, & Learn, Record & Remix, Interactive Play, and Dance Party
- May be too loud for young children
- May be frightening at first to younger one-year-olds due to bug-like appearance
- Built-in speaker may cause some static and echo that is unpleasant to the ear
2. Light ‘n Go 3-in-1 Activity Walker by Little Tikes: $39.99
Toddlers are taking their first steps at a year old, so a lot of parents like to have a walker toy around to help their toddler get used to walking. Toddlers can use this toy as a walker, an activity table, and a sit-and-play center.
- Features more than 70 activities, sounds, and songs
- When used as a walker, it plays music and projects colorful lights onto the floor in front of it to encourage your toddler to keep walking
- Volume is adjustable
- May be too heavy for some one-year-olds to turn by themselves when used as a walker
- Rubber wheels can be noisy against hard floors when toy is used as a walker
3. Textured Multi Ball Set by Infantino: $9.99
A lot of one-year-olds find joy in the simplest of toys. Textured and multi-shaped balls like these are easy for your child to grab and play with. Though basic, these balls can provide your child with hours of entertainment.
- Balls are multifunctional and can be thrown, bounced, squeezed, and rolled
- Includes a reusable tub for storage
- Helps your child develop gross motor skills and tactile senses
- Made with PVC
- Does not indicate if it is phthalate free
- Does not indicate on its packaging that it is BPA free, although it is
4. Ocean Glow Sensory Shaker Toy by Baby Einstein: $12.99
This sensory shaker toy is easy for young children to grasp and play with. It has several features that will stimulate their senses and keep them interested.
- Has 4 motion-activated melodies that are short and sweet
- Lights that change colors
- Colorful rope pieces keep your child interested in the toy and encourage tactile sensory development
- Doesn’t make an actual rattle noise
- Hard plastic construction can hurt children if they hit themselves with the toy
5. Shapes and Sharing Picnic Basket by LeapFrog: $17.89
Toddlers at this age are curious about different types of foods. Consider accompanying your toddler as they play with this 14-piece picnic set to teach them about different foods. They’ll learn different nuances between the food types, shapes, and more.
- Has music and sound effects
- Offers storage inside for all its parts when your toddler isn’t playing with it
- Encourages your toddler to share by having multiple plates, utensils, and cups
- Introduces your toddler to different foods
- Toy does not respond to or praise your toddler in any way
- Cups are unable to hold real liquids due to holes in the bottom
6. Sea Dreams Soother by Baby Einstein: $24.49
If you’d like some assistance with putting your toddler to bed, this soother toy can provide assistance. Whether your toddler prefers to sleep in a crib or next to you on the bed, this toy is ready to help you ease them into sleep.
- Parents can choose from several combinations of sounds and lights to ease their toddler to sleep
- Features 25 minutes of continuous play time, a drift-off feature, volume control, and crib attachment
- Has 10 classic songs as well as ocean sounds
- Know when to replace batteries when the battery indicator light turns red
- May not attach properly to all cribs
- Mechanical components inside the toy may be very loud and overshadow the soothing purpose of the toy
- Remote may not always work as advertised
7. Laugh & Learn Smart Stages Chair by Fisher-Price: $26.44
This chair toy will encourage your toddler to practice sitting while having fun with the different built-in features. It features Smart Stages technology, which consists of three different levels of interaction between your toddler and the chair. Parents can enter the toddler’s age to access the corresponding Smart Stage, or they can change the Smart Stage manually with a switch.
This chair includes “Smart Stages” including exploration, encouragement, and pretend – all of which aid in developing various skills and imagination.
- The seat activates different songs and phrases when your toddler sits or stands
- Includes more than 50 songs and phrases
- Helps your toddler learn the alphabet, colors, shapes, numbers, and more
- Features a lift-up seat that provides extra storage
- Has built-in features like a light-up remote and flip book
- Internal glitches may cause songs to loop
- Requires back leg removal to change batteries
8.WheelyMouse by Prince LionHeart: $59.99
While your toddler is learning to walk better on their own, they can further develop their leg muscles by going on adventures on this soft ride-on toy. As they push themselves along, they can also develop a good sense of balance and direction.
- Low to the floor
- Multi-directional wheels
- Padded handle ensures your toddler has something to hold on to
- Available in different sizes
- May begin to wear after a short period of time
- Wheels can make a lot of noise on hard floors
9. Match & Roll Shape Sorter by Melissa & Doug: $19.99
This shape sorter toy promotes color and shape recognition along with motor skills development.
- Includes more than a dozen colored wooden shapes with matching colored holes in the drum
- Drum opens to empty all shapes for continuous playing
- Toddlers can roll the drum for added excitement
- Wooden shapes can be too small, making them unsafe for kids to put in their mouth
- Wooden shapes can have splinters chip off of them
10. Musical Farmyard Cube Learning Toy by Melissa & Doug: $19.99
Learning about animals is important for your toddler’s intellectual development. Introduce them to four popular animals with this easy-to-use, soft learning cube.
- Features four animals and their corresponding animal sounds
- Toddlers can squeeze the animal’s nose or bump the cube on the floor to hear each animal’s melody
- Has a mirror made of plastic to eliminate potentially hazardous components
- Does not indicate where to install batteries
- Colors may be faded
- Sounds may be too loud
One-year-olds are beginning to walk and learn about their capabilities. This is a crucial time to provide them with the tools they need to learn and grow. By utilizing the toys we’ve outlined, you can get your young one off to a great developmental start that can benefit them for years to come.